If my girlfriend and I are currently in college and I want to ask her to marry me when we graduate in 2 years, since we’ll be engaged for a year will that effect her F1 status?

We plan to live in France after that.

Asked on April 15, 2015 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It should not affect her status in any way if you are engaged and do not do anything about her adjustment of status to permanent residence.  If she travels internationally during your engagement period it is probably a good idea not to alert any attention to rings or other evidences of the engagement so that the officers at the port of entry do not suspect intention to immigrate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.