If my girlfriend of many years lives with me keeps her horses here and 1 broke loose and caused damage, could I be held liable for the damages?

For example, went into the road and caused an accident. I own the house.

Asked on February 1, 2016 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could be liable if you are at fault for the horse getting loose in some way: e.g. the fence on or around your property was broken, rotten, weak, etc.  and that's how it got loose, or the lock on a gate was broken, or you personally had failed to lock a gate or tie up the horse, etc. If you negligently (carelessly, which includes by not taking reasonable precautions) cause or contribute to the accident, you could be liable. This includes if your property is not suitable for a horse (fence too low, for example) and you let her keep the horses there, since it is negligent to keep animals in insecure or inappropriate areas.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.