How long after failing to pay child support can you be arrested?

My future father-in-law lives in Greece where he’s lived for 27 years. He has 3 sons including my fiance with his ex who still lives here in the US. If he was unable to pay child support can he be arrested for nonpayment of child support if his sons are in their 30’s now. I’m asking this because he wants to come over for our wedding and his ex is threatening him with being arrested if he comes back. my fiance wants him here for it.

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Ordinarily if one owes child support a petition for an order to show cause for such support is first filed against the delinquent parent where he or she shows in court and the court then makes a decision if a fine or jail time for contempt is appropriate.

Based upon what you have written about, I doubt if your future father-in-law shows up at the last moment for the wedding that he would get arrested out of the blue. I suggest that he consult with a family law attorney concerning the matter you have written about so he can discuss his options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.