What to do if my friend was intoxicated and stole a bottle from a bar and ran, however while they don’t know his last name they do know his cell phone number?

Now an officer wants him to go into the station to explain himself even though he doesn’t remember anything. Should he just say that he needs to talk to a lawyer or will they still pursue him?

Asked on August 21, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor


I just had a detective call my clients' family and tell him they wanted him to come in as a witness to an accident and they swore he was not in any trouble.  They were smart enough to retain me to deal with the detective.  When I called, the client had an arrest warrant for an A1 felony. The police want you to come in voluntarily without a lawyer so they can interrogate you without reading your your rights and without having an attorney present.  You should NOT make ANY statements without a lawyer.  

Only two possible scenarios exist.  1) They already believe they have probable cause to arrest him and they are just trying to get extra evidence in a confession/admission. The end result is he is going to be arrested in this scenario no matter what he says or even if he stays silent.  2) They don't have enough evidence and are seeking a confession/admission so that they can arrest him.  In this scenario you can only hurt yourself by making a statement because something you say may be used against you. 

Bottom Line: Hire an attorney with a good reputation - A skilled advocate can protect your rights, put forth your defense without fear of having statements be used against you at a later time, arrange your voluntary surrender if necessary, which could lead to lower or no bail being set,  and in some cases if the evidence is really weak, the police may think twice about even arresting you at all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.