If my friend was convicted of a felony 6 years ago, what must he do to get it off of his record in order to obtain gainful employment?

He has had no other trouble with the law (except for minor traffic citation). He now lives in another state.

Asked on October 31, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First of all, if the conviction was in federal court, then it cannot be "expunged"  (i.e. cleared from your friend's criminal history record). If the conviction was in state court, then it may or may not be able to be cleared. What your friend needs to do is to google the word "expungment" and then the name of the state in which the conviction occurred. He should be able to find the information that he needs to find out if he is eligible to have his conviction removed from his record.
If he still has questions, he can contact an criminal law attorney who specializes in obtaining expungments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.