What to do if my friend was arrested and not read his rights?

Afterwards he was locked in a room outside of the police station and beaten until he confessed to a crime he did not commit. Can what he said still be used against him in court?

Asked on February 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Jeffrey Kaplan / Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Kaplan

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I have to admit I'm always curious when someone submits a question about a "friend." If this friend of yours was locked away in a room, how do you know what happened or if he was read his rights? For that matter, how do you know he did not commit the crime he is accused of? 

I would suggest that there is nothing you should do but let your friend's attorney handle the situation. If he can't afford one he can have one appointed. In the meantime he should keep quiet until he can speak to the attorney. Likewise you can ask to speak to your friend's attorney and tell him what you know, but beyond him I suggest you keep quiet. You don't want to complicate your friend's case by speaking out of turn.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.