What can I do if a friend totaled mycar over a year agoand we had an agreement that he would pay for my deposit but I have yet to receive anything?

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Accident Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

 If someone damages or destroys your property either deliberately or negligently (unreasonably carelessly), you may sue them for the value of the property. If you entered into an agreement or settlement with someone who damaged your property and they don't honor it, you may sue to enforce the agreement. Either way, your recourse is to sue your friend for the money he owes you. For a larger amount, retain an attorney; for a smaller amount, represent yourself in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.