What to do if my friend signed over the title to a vehicle to me but now wants it back?

Her lawyer sent me a letter to give the keys and title back to her. I haven’t got the insurance or license plate for it yet. Can she just take it back or is it legally mine now?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Business Law, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Did you pay for the car?  Did you give her something in return for the car?  Why did she "sign over the title" to you, was it just a gift?

I don't know what grounds the attorney is claiming to revoke the gift, but if you did not pay for the car and did not give something of value for the car, she can probably get it back.  If you have not had the car long (and it seems that way), then giving it back would be the right thing to do.  If you have spent money to transfer the title or buy insurance or fix the car, then I would ask the friend to reimburse you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.