If my friend’s mom stole his identity, how can heclear his credit report without gettingher into trouble?

My friend recently found out that his mom has been using his identity, and has accumulated over $16,000 in debt under his name, all of which remains unpaid. The first bill he received was an over due credit card bill totaling over $10,000, his mom later took out a student loan for $15,000 under his name to pay that credit card down, but she still has a credit card under his name that is 150 days past due and owes about $1,200 on it still. He himself is in college, and has already taken out about $25,000 in student loans. How can he get his mom’s debt out of his name and off his credit report?

Asked on September 24, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This is a most unfortunate situation. Frankly, I don't see how he can clear up his record without divulging his mother's actions.  She is guilty of fraud, forgery, and several other offenses.  What they need to do know is to sit and speak with a criminal attorney.  Qualified counsel can best advise as to the specifc of this matter. Until his mother's actions are divulged, he won't be able to clear his credit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.