If a parent tells a 17 year-old to move, what are their options?

My friend lives with her dad and step-mom they both keep telling her they want her to leave. She is 17. What is her options?

Asked on November 30, 2010 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your friend.  I am unclear about what you are asking as to her options.  Does she wish to try and emancipate herself?  That generally requires a showing that you can take care of your self by supporting yourself with a job, a place to live, health insurance, etc.  It requires a "plan."  Are there relatives that she can go and live with?  That also may be an option for her.  It also may be the best thing emotionally to be around family that cares for her.  The family member can petition for guardianship.   Otherwise, if she leaves and has no where to go she may be placed in to foster care and that is not a place that she wants to be.  If her parents consent then she can also go and live with friends if they will have her.  Good luck to her.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.