If my friend just got charged with armed robbery of a pharmacy, are there any options for him to get a reduced charge since he has no prior record?

He has a clean record and has been put recently on alot of mind altering medications. He is currently under a $150,000 bond and is charged with a class D felony.

Asked on February 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Jon Welborn / Welborn Law Firm, PLLC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I would assume your friend at this point has either received court appointed counsel or retained counsel.  If he has not then he should do so as soon as possible. A class D felony in NC is an extremely serious charge which depending on your friends prior criminal record could result in a possible maximum punishment in excess of 200 months incarceration. 

Often times prosecutors offer plea bargains which may or may not be to a lesser included offense. The plea bargain may consist of a lesser sentencing recommendation. 

The main thing is that your friend needs counsel to advise him based upon his particular case.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

First, I suggest that your friend consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist in the felony charge for armed robbery. Possibly a plea agreement may result in a reduced charge. However, from what you have written about, I see jail time for your friend if convicted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.