If my friend just found out she has terminal cancer and is a single parent who wants me to be “guardian” of her child, what are the legal processes that we need to take?

What are my legal responsibilities in this case?

Asked on September 30, 2012 under Family Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you want to be the guardian of the minor child of your friend then you and the friend need to consult with a family law attorney to draft up such an agreement setting forth your responsibilities and duties with respect to the child where each of you sign it.

Assuming you accept the guardianship your responsibilities woukd be to raise the child as though the child was your own. Such includes, clothing, shelter, food and education.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.