What to do if my friend is divorced and his ex-wife still lives in the home which is titled and mortgaged in both names?

He is refinancing in his name only. He has been working on this for several months and finally was given a closing date of next week. The ex-wife refuses to close for 3 more weeks, even though she has had several months notice that this was coming. If he doesn’t close next week he has to re-do the loan, which will drag this out for another 30-45 days. Is he able to legally force her to come to closing or is he at her mercy?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the presumed marital dissolution agreement and resulting judgment between your friend and his former spouse has no language stating what is to be done with respect to the impass that you have written about, there really is not anything that can be done about the situation given the press of time to conclude the paper work for the refinance other than for your friend to consult with a real estate attorney.

He cannot force the "ex" to come to the closing. Perhaps a monetary enticement might get what he wants from the "ex", namely cooperation and assistance with the close.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.