If my friend got hurt on my property by a firework that he helped light, can he or his health insurance company sue me for his bills?

My friend injured himself at my house on a firework that he helped me light. My house insurance company had dropped my coverage just prior to him getting injured and I have no other coverage. Can him or his health insurance company sue me for his medical bills, pain and suffering and/or lost wages?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Personal Injury, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible that the person who was injured at your home by an incendiary device could very well sue you for liability and his or her resulting damages. Damages would be medical bills, pain and suffering, and possibly lost wages depending upon the circumstances.

Possibly the injured party's insurance carrier could sue you for medical bills under a subrogation claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.