If my friend drove my parent’s car without permission and got into an accident, what should I say to the insurance agent so that my dad’s insurance rate won’t go up?

And so that all of the liability for the accident won’t go on him?

Asked on November 18, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are willling to report your friend for car theft, you can possibly avoid liability going to your father: a driver is not responsible for accidents caused by someone who stole his car, and taking a car without permission *is* stealing it. Of course, this is a case of "in for a penny, in for a pound,"--to use this as a defense to liability, you or your father would have to file a police report and be wiling to press charges for theft. You can't do it halfway: you can't tell the insurer the car was taken without permission, then not follow-up with the authorities. (If you try to do that, the insurer may believe that you are lying and trying to commit some sort of fraud, and you could face legal penalties.)

Otherwise, if the car was not stolen--if it was taken with the permission of either the owner (your father) or of someone who him/herself had permission to use the car (e.g. if you could use your parent's car, and you let the friend use it), then the car's owner is liable for the accident; car owners are generally liable for the acts of those who use their cars with permission.

If your father is liable and has to pay anything out of pocket, he could sue your friend to recover those amouns from him or her.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.