How do I get a home that was left to me into my name?

My friend and neighbor, whom I rented from for 20 years, passed away. In his will, he left the rental home to my wife and I. In the second paragraph, it was stated that a loan that I had gotten from him 8 years earlier had to be paid off prior to his death. Over the years, we had an agreement that work I did for him would be applied to that debt. We made a final agreement earlier this year that the debt was settled. As of now, I do not know if he wrote anything down regarding that but had said to many just prior to his death that the house was to be ours. What if anything do I need to do?

Asked on August 18, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Please go and speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. Generally, there has to be some documentation IN WRITING as to the satisfaction of the debt.  Was the original loan document in writing?  The fact that he left you the house in his Will is a good thing (oral representations are not good enough) but I am hoping that the repayment prior to death was not a "condition precedent" to your inheritance.  Please, please go and speak with a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.