What to do if my fraternity rented 2 port-a-potties that were delivered to us but the company never came back to pick them up?

About 4 months ago, we rented them for 2 days. However, the company never came to pick them up. We got in touch with the company after many attempts and found out that they were out of business. They never attempted to come pick up their property and we have tried to get them to. I think we talked to the city about getting them removed but that was a month or so ago. I was just wandering if we could sell or trade these and if they are now our property as the company has used our property as storage for the last several months?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Business Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get rid of the portable toilets from the out of business company that owns them is to write the contact person a letter stating that he or she has 30 days to remove them from the property that they are on, and if not remove dduring this time period you will deem them abandoned and do whatever necessary to dispose of them.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need. If the 30 day time period comes and goes with nothing happening, then you do what you need to do to get the items removed from where they are located.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.