If my14 year old daughter was provided alcohol by an 18 year old boy, do we have any recourse if she suffered alcohol poisoning?

Police were called so there is a record of the incident. Is there anything we can do to file a claim for medical bills we paid or bring charges against the boy or his parents? She was taken to hospital for alcohol poisoning.

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Personal Injury, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Providing alcohal to a 14-year-old is both against the law and is also negligent; therefore, the boy might be liable (he is 18, so you should be able to sue him). In addition, if he obtained the alcohal from his parents and/or it was served to your daughter at their home while they were around, it may be that they are liable, too.

It would be worthwhile for you to discuss this matter in detail with an attorney, to see what your rights are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.