If my former spouse has moved to a country that does not have a reciprocal agreement in regards to child support with the US and he doesn’t continue to make payments, what are my options?

He is a foreign national and my child and I are American citizens, residing in the U.S.

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your options are to serve the "ex" with an order to show cause for contempt of a court order since the county and state in this country where you reside have jurisdiction over the matter.

If the "ex" has assets in this country then you can levy upon such for satisfaction of back child support. If not, then there really is nothing you can do unfortunately due to the fact that he resides in a country where there is no reciprocal agreement with this country concerning child support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.