My former employer has a corporate friendly reference policy and does not allow supervisors to provide reference. Now that I am no longer employed there can I be held to that policy when listed as a reference for a former supervisee?

The policy states to direct the caller to
human resources who only provides
start and end employment date and the
rate of pay at that time. But I am no
longer working there. And the buisness
has been reorganized/sold and

Asked on June 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Post employment, you are only subject to that policy (or any other workplace policies) if you signed an agreement (such as separation and release agreement, or SRA) in which you accepted some compensation (such as severance) in exchange for agreeing to be bound by the terms of the agrement--and such agreement contained the referral policy to which you refer. Otherwise, unless you contractually obligated yourself, once you leave work, you don't have to follow the employer's policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.