My former company is threatening legal action for me starting up a competing company, and formally incorporating a week before I left. Can they?

Email: ..we found an original receipt from the City of Beaverton for a HOME OCCUPANCY PERMIT dated June 12, 2009 signed by you at 1:53PM. That was a Friday, Ted, and occurred at a time when you were on the clock and paid for that time by Meyer Sign Co. / Martin Bros. In addition, you were paid for another four days of work subsequent to obtaining that permit. During that time you were supposed to be working for Meyer Sign Co. / Martin Bros. but were in competition with us as your business is described in your hand-writing as “SIGNAGE / PRINT MEDIA SERVICES.”

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Business Law, Oregon


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ted, I think you need a lawyer, and you need one right now.

If the email is right, that you paid for a permit for use in your own business, while you were "on the clock" for your former employer, you can be sued.  It's quite possible that you'll have to give back that last week's pay, and perhaps more, to take care of this.  You need an attorney to know just how hard you could get hit at trial, if it comes to that, who can negotiate the best possible deal for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.