If my fiduciary duties regarding my dad’s estate are coming to end soon, what do I do about a credit card debt?

My question concerns credit card debt and my state’s statute of limitations; which is 3 years on open-end card debt. A new asset was added to the estate, but 3 years from when creditors first filed claims against estate. It was insolvent and closed then. And if you use other dates(when card account was past due,closed, or charged-off), the 3 years is past all of them. Simply put, an entire,3 full years go by before estate is reopened and the newly discovered asset added. How is probate court going to analyze this situation. I want to time bar the claims; if you go by the book the math comes out ok. Is probate going to try and pull a rabbit out of it’s ears?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Estate Planning, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If the creditor timely made a creditor's claim on an insolvent estate at the time and never filed suit within three years after making the claim, then under the laws of your state the creditor is now time barred from filing suit or making a claim as to the estate even though some assets have been recently discovered.

Your math is fine. The creditor is time barred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.