If my fiancée (soon wife) is on a F1 visa right now, does she need to enroll into school to be a legal resident since she will convert her F1 to H4?

I am on a H1 visa. We are planning to get married next week on the 20th. My question is that I am asking this because I understand that the COS from F1 to H4 might take a few months and I don’t want her to be out of status.

Asked on August 11, 2014 under Immigration Law, Delaware


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As long as she is in valid f-1 status at the time she files for the change of status to h-4 after marriage, it will be fine.  the cos will take a few months but it is important to be IN status at the time of filing.  she will not be out of status.  congratulations on your marriage and best of luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.