If my fiancee is in the army and is being stationed somewhere else, can I leave and take my son with me?

My son’s dad doesn’t pay child support or anything. There is no custody agreement. I just need to know if I can take my son with us without getting into trouble?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there are no court orders in place and you are the parent of the child, then you can move when and where you need to in order to provide a good life for your son.  If a court order was in place that restricted your movement, then you would need to comply with the restrictions of those orders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.