If my fiancee came with a fiance visa and we got married 3 days ago but now he has decided that he wants to return home, do I have to report this to the INS?

Since he did not had a adjustment of visa yet?

Asked on February 17, 2013 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You don't really have to notify USCIS but if he is going back, I would presume that you would want to get the marriage terminated if you are no longer in a bona fide marital relationship.  He will not be able to adjust status on the basis of the petition if he is no longer married to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.