my fiance owes back child support and we want to get married will i have to pay it

will they take money from my
check,bank, or income taxes?

Asked on May 15, 2016 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You do NOT become liable for a spouse's child support or bank child support, so they can't legally take it from your bank account or income tax refund. BUT if you have a joint bank account or file taxes jointly, they could take his share of those monies--and could easily end up going after your share (or part of it), too, thinking it is his, and forcing you to fight to get your own money back. If you are marrying someone with significant debts, you are advised to keep your own finances separate (own bank accounts; file taxes separately; do not jointly buy a house) until he clears up his debts; etc.). Also, keep good records, receipts, etc. to prove what is yours, if the issue comes up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.