What to do if my fiance injured his back at work and he asked for workman’s comp but his supervisor has been uncooperative?

His supervisor did the paperwork and had another employee take my fiance to an urgent care center. The doctor there placed him on light duty, but his supervisor had him washing buses. When the pain worsened, my fiance asked for lighter work. He was set to work at a desk but also asked to clean the bathroom too. His pain increased to the point where he could barely walk. He asked for a few days off to recuperate fully but his supervisor would not authorize it. The pain increased until he needed authorization to be seen at an ER. His supervisor refused to authorize the visit.

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your finance's employer is not obligated to allow workers time off for injuries or to provide light duty. However--

1) Your finance is absolutely entitled to apply for worker's compensation (monetary compensation), even if the employer  had not done this for him. He can contact the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Worker's Compensation, and at the end of this email is link to a FAQ sheet by the Division with helpful information, including where to call to apply.

2) If you fiance misses work, he may be eligible to receive payment for at least part of it from disability. Again, he should contract the Division for more information.

Here is the link: http://www.myfloridacfo.com/wc/faq/faqwrkrs.html#3

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.