What to do if my fiance and I broke up but my car is in his name and now he wants it back?

I put my car down for the trade in and have been making all the payments. Doesn’t he have to pay me the money I put into it before he can take the car?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

So long as the car that you have written about is not in your registered name, then under the laws of all states in this country the car is your "ex's" to do as he desires. If your "ex" wants the car in hand but you have been making payments for it, you and he need to reach some written agreement for the reimbursement of the costs you incurred. I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney to assist you in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.