What to do if my fiancé was involved in a car accident in my uninsured vehicle?

Apparently the lady pulled out in front of him totaling her car but giving my car light bumper damage.she was driving a 10 year old car (I think), so he was charged with hit and run with injury because he thought his license was suspended. He did not have car insurance and neither did I. The lady said she suffered from a slight concussion. I then received a letter in my name from her lawyer with the insurance claim department for a claim of $9300. I feel the claim is high and my fiancé is taking full responsibility for this.

Asked on July 18, 2014 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Either you or your fiance could be liable IF your fiance was at fault in causing the accident (that is, he was, at least in part, negligent or careless, such as by not looking where he was going). If he was at fault, then he, as the at fault driver, and you, as the person who allowed him to drive, could both be financially responsible for her injuries (e.g. medical costs) and damage to her car.

Of course, she can only collect up the actual cost of her damage, cost of her medical bills, amount of lost wages (if any), and *possibly* "pain and suffering" for more serious injuries. If  you feel the claim is too high, you ask to see some back-up for it (e.g. repair estimates; medical bills). If you believe your fiance was at fault and the amount she is asking for is reasonable, you may wish to pay it, or at least try to work out some payment plan or arrangement. If you feel she's asking for too much and/or that it's not clear that  your fiance was at fault, you could try to negotiate to a lesser payment or else refuse to pay and defend yourselves in court if sued--though defending a lawsuit has its own costs, and there's always the chance you'd end up losing (and paying) anyway.

MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need an attorney. If the accident was her fault, you need an expert to write a report to show the damage was her fault. Then that needs to be submitted to her attorney and that should take care of it. Once this is clear, you need to obtain car insurance and not let anyone else drive your vehicle. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.