If my fiancé and I are living together and the mortgage/title are in my name but I would like the house will go to him if I die. what do I have to do?

I would like to put the title in his name in the event of my death.

Asked on August 26, 2014 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The problem with transferring title to the two of you would be that it may cause an acceleration of the mortgage, meaning it would become due and owing.  You could see about refinancing the mortgage with the two of you and then re doing the deed but make sure that if you are not married the words "with rights of survivorship" are written on it.  Or you could speak with an attorney about doing a Will and leaving it to him.  Inheriting a house does not cause an acceleration of the mortgage meaning he could go on paying it until it is paid off even though it is in your name and the title has been transferred to him via probate. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.