If my fence was damaged as a result of a car crash between 2 vehicles, what should I do next?

I need to make a claim to get my fence fixed but the only info I have is the police report and pictures of the crash and damages. My insurance company can’t help because the cost for repair is below my deductible. I have mailed and emailed the owner of the vehicle that crashed my fence and the insurance company on file and I am not getting any response from either party. I have asked the police and they are not helping. What are my options?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Accident Law, New Jersey


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have a few options.  First, attempt to contact the insurance company by phone.  Mail and email is probably not the best way to establish a claim.  Their phone number should be readily available thru an internet search if it is not listed on the police report.  You can also file a complaint with your state Department of Insurance if the insurance company continues to be non responsive.  Lastly you can always file suit against the driver at fault for the damages to your fence.  Depending on your state and the amount of damage to your fence, you can likely file your lawsuit in small claims court or justice court.  Keep in mind that filing a lawsuit can be costly and time consuming so having the responsible insurance carrier cover your damages is your best bet. Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.