My fathered passed no will He has an adopted daughter and I am the only blood child. I am the only one who lives in nj with him. there is a house

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to get letters of administration, which officially make you the personal representative of your father's estate, and you can do that by going to the office of the Surrogate, at or near the county courthouse;  you will need to bring a certified copy of your father's death certificate.

You are probably going to have to split the estate with your adopted sister;  because he left no will, your father's estate has to be divided up according to law.  You need to hire an attorney to help you take care of the estate properly, and one place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.