If my father was broke at the time of his death and I had to get a loan for the funeral home to take care of him, do I have to go through probate?

Asked on September 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You only go through probate if the deceased person owned assets that need to be transferred to their heirs.  Furthermore, some assets can be transferred without going through probate.  If your father had no assets at the time of his death, there is no reason for his estate to go through probate. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.