What to do if my father suggested that I get a prenuptial agreement since he said I and my siblings stand to “inherit a decent amount of money”?

His feelings are that if I and my husband, should I remarry, do not spend the money, he would like the remainder of the inheritance to then go to my children, his grandchildren. Can my father’s wishes be accomplished in a Will or some other way or must it be via a prenuptial agreement.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country any suggestions or statements in a Will that you have a pre-nuptial agreement means nothing. His recourse is that his Will or trust set forth conditions as to what inheritance you may receive such as receiving nothing if you re-marry where what you would receive would go to your children.

Such a condition would be valid under the laws of all states in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.