What are my rights if my father stolemoney from my IRA?

My father has managed my IRAs for most of my adult life. This money has been from him, from my savings and most recently profits of the sale of my condo. Recently I tried to withdraw $58,000 and have it deposited into one of my checking accounts. Any transaction I make my father is informed of because he is the primary account holder. After weeks of not receiving the money, the bank investigated. I found out my father stepped in and blocked the transfer and had the money sent to him in his name. When confronted, he said he did because he did not agree with my **** life with another man.

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the money was blocked by your father from the transfer which is yours and you want it, you need to first speak with the bank that has it in its deposit as to the way you are able to get it transferred to you. If the bank is unable to assist, then you need to retain an attorney experienced in banking law.

From what I see, your father did not "steal" your money. He simply blocked its transfer to you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.