How can I get my inheritance, which is a 1/3 share of my late father’s house?

My father’s home has been transfered into our 3 sibling names. I am considerably older than my sister who is living in the house. And I am in need of my inheritance.. She is seemingly not interested in “giving” me my inheritance. Is there any way I can liquidate my portion of the house without her direct involvement? A further difficulty is that she is in one state and we are in another. She has made improvements to the house without our involvement or permission. Can she charge me for these?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

you would have to foile a complaint in state court where the poroperty is to ask for dissoltion of the partnership that was created when you three inherited.  you can force a sale and split the proceeds.;  she could likely collect the costs of improvements/repairs she paid for

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.