My father’s cremated remains are being held by my brother. Mom is devasted. Brother will not release for trip to NY to have services for my father.

When My Father passed the family agreed to my brother holding the remains until this trip to NY. In the meantime there has been hurt feelings over the settlement of his estate. Now my Mother is devastated because my brother is refusing to give her the ashes. What legal rights does she have and can she force him to return them to us before the trip. We all have to leave on Wednesday this week. Help. What do we do?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact an attorney right away in your area.  Try  An estate attorney can try to get an emergency court order for your mother to get the ashes.  She has the right to them.  Don't waste time.  Contact an attorney immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.