What to do if my father recently passed away and I haven’t been able to find a Will?

I’m his only son and he’s divorced. He owns a home and truck, has a couple of bank accounts and IRA’s. What do I need to do, since I don’t have a Will saying all this should go to me?

Asked on September 6, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your Father died with out a WIll then he died "intestate" and the law of Intestate Succession will apply. In Pennsylvania the law can be found at 20 Pa.C.S.A. § 2101 et seq. You as his only son will inherit the entire estate under the law.  You will need to file a Petition to be appointed as the personal representative of the estate in the Probate Court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  It can be very complicated and you may wish to hire an attorney to help. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.