If my father recently died but my mother is still living, do we need a lawyer to get everything changed to her name only?

There is real estate, etc.

Asked on July 10, 2014 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  This is not as simple to guide you as one would think. If everything was jointly owned as husband and wife with rights of survivorship (and generally that is how they hold things) then it passed to Mom automatically.  She does not have to take her name off but if she wishes to she should bring the death certificate and that should be enough to take his name off.  Real property (the house and land) have to have a new deed filed.  That can get expensive and really it should be done by an attorney to make sure it is properly done.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.