What to do if my father received a summons from the city but can’t appear in court?

His neighbor complained he has grass growing in his driveway but my father is hospitalized and will not be able to be in court on that date. My mother called to see if she could appear for him and was told no. My father is 80 years old and cant walk what can he do if the city insist that he has to appear in Court?

Asked on October 28, 2013 under Business Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given your father's health condition the best way to resolve his inability to appear in court is for him to retain a business attorney in his locality to appear in court for him. One in his locality can be found via attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.