If my father past away and I am the executor of his estate, how do I transfer the titles to his vehicles into my name?

My cousin was the attorney he filed his Will with. After he passed I wasn’t told about a Will until a week after the memorial services. I knew he had been working with her on one but was unaware that it was finished; all I was told was that he was leaving me as the executor to divide things between my sisters and myself. He didn’t have much of an estate, just household furnishings, tools, and two vehicles. Due to family disputes, she is no longer dealing with proceedings, so now I need to know how to deal with the 2 vehicles.

Asked on March 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your situation.  Was your cousin helping with the probate of the Will?  Then you need to ask for her file to see where in fact the matter is in the courts.  Being appointed as the executor is a big deal and carries big responsibilities.  You need to make sure that noice to creditors has been given and that debts are paid, estate taxes filed, etc., before distribution can be made.  Transfer is done by you.  You can sign the titles as executor.  But get some one to review to make sure that all is right.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.