What to do if we were not given adequate opportunity to get items from our father’s estate?

My father passed away 2 weeks ago. We did not have a formal Will reading and I did not get a copy sent to me yet. The house was willed to his brother but it stated that we children could get anything we would like out of the house. His sisters allowed us to have 4 hours in the house and were watched the whole time we were there. They refused to let us in the house again before we left town. Now they are cleaning the house out so their brother can stay upstairs. I don’t feel that we really had the opportunity to go through the house. Should I get an attorney?

Asked on February 3, 2013 under Estate Planning, Kansas


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Obtain yourself probate litigation attorney to file a petition into probate court if you think the items are valuable enough other than sentimental value, to fight your father's brother. However, your attorney may consider filing a pretermitted heir petition for you because your father having left you siblings out of the will as to the significant asets.. Check it out with probate legal counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.