my father passed away on Tuesday he has a will in the state of VA i live in f my new phew has the will and won’t talk to me how do I get notified

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The will should be filed with the court for probate, in the county where your father last made his home.  You need to talk to a lawyer there, who can get you a copy of the will once it's probated, and file papers with the court that should make your nephew, or whoever is the executor under the will, give you notice of everything that happens.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.