If my brother had power of attorney for my father and I believe that he spent some of dad’s money towards his bills, his girlfriend, trips and more, do I have a case?

My father passed away about 2 1/2 years ago. My dad lived with me for the year before he died. We received no money to help with his care.

Asked on November 22, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are allowed a portion of his estate for his medical care and such. You should consider forcing an accounting by your brother and then suing in probate court. Did your father leave a will? If so, the will needs to be probated and if it has been, you can check for a copy with the court and see if you were named.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.