What to do if my father recently passed away and his new wife will not show my brother and I the Will?

He died of cancer. We know he had 30k life insurance; he told my mother that there were 3 of us on the policy. The new wife’s attorny told us that he was not going to file the Will. I had a conversation with her last night and she mentioned executor release. my dad has no assets that we know of and a lot of old debt. My brother and I are students and do not have money for a lawyer.

Asked on October 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You should go to legal aid in your community and also contact the state bar and any bar associations that deal with estate planning. Beg and plead and I am sure someone out there will help you. Contact your local court where your father would have had his will probated and see if you can open a probate action to force them in to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.