If my father passed away with no assets, what do I do?

He had no Will but had debts and loan payments. His house value is about equal to what is owed and for legal fees. It seems like a lot of work, to see no inheritance at the end. I don’t know what to do.

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


Matthew Majeski / Majeski Law, LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you have no obligation to do anything at all unless a probate proceeding has started and you have agreed to be the personal representative of the estate (executor).  If you've determined that the end result would be cost-prohibitive to you, that may be your best course of action.  A Minnesota estate planning attorney could review the situation for you and advise accordingly.

Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I am sorry for your loss of your father.  It sounds as though you may want to seek a private attorney to provide you with legal advice at this time. You may want a private legal consultation with an attorney at this time. I recommend you phone several attorneys in choosing, because it is very important that you feel a sense of great safety and trust in the relationship. A person facing a situation such as you describe may have several legal problems or worries or concerns which may be addressed in the private consultation.  All the best to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.