If my father passed away 4 months ago and my stepmom won’t talk to me, can his Will be seen by me without her knowledge?

My stepmom has no communication with any of my siblings or I. We would like to know what

was in his Will.

Asked on May 16, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file a petition to probate the estate.  You are a potential heir because you are your father's son.  If there is not will, then the Texas Probate Code sets out specific procedures for how assets are to be distributed.  During the probate process, the court can and should inquire whether a will exists and she can be compelled to produce it as part of this process.
To start the process, you need to seek out a probate attorney.  They can assist you in getting the process started.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.