If my father passed away before my grandfather, do my siblings and I have any rights?

My father isn’t listed in the Will as a child. However, it says heirs of his children get an equal share of the residual estate.

Asked on July 3, 2014 under Estate Planning, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There are several things to consider here. First of all, a child can be disinherited by a parent. However, typically there should language of disinheritance in the Will itself, if not it could be argued that your grandfather forgot to mention your father in it. If the argument is successful (you would need to have this question decided by the court), you and your siblings could possibly share in an inheritance. However, what happens to a deceased benenficary's share (if in fact it is established that your father did have a legal right to a portion of the estate) depends on how the Will is written and applicable state law. Accordingly, if alternate beneficiaries were named, then your father's share would go to the person(s) so named, in this case to your grandfather's children or their heirs (i.e. you and your siblings).

Note: Even if an alternate benficiary was not named, then in virtually all states the gift to him would not fail or "lapse", rather it would go to you and your siblings.

The fact is that this area of the law can get complicated and so are the details of this case. Therefore, you should consult with a probate attorney in the area in which probate is to be opened. They can best advise you of your rights pursuant to state law after reviewing a copy of the Will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.