What to do if my late father left his house to my brother and I in his Will but I cannot afford to take over his mortgage payments?

I would like to rent it out. I do not have good credit and would not qualify to have the mortgage put into my name. What are the steps that I need to take now that my father has passed away?

Asked on November 4, 2013 under Estate Planning, Washington


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will have to petition the probate court to name you as executor and/or transfer the house to you and your brother. You do not have to put the mortgage into your name. You can keep the current mortgage loan. As executor (and eventually as co-owner), you can rent or sell the house. It would be a good idea to talk to a local probate lawyer who can help you do this.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.