If my father just submitted his N-400 application and we received his fingerprinting date, do all applicants get fingerprinted?

I am asking because he wants to know if he should proceed. He does not meet the requirements to become a citizen, such as living here for a certain time. Is it worth him pursuing it or are they strict on the requirements? He is not lying about any of the facts, he just figures he will try anyway but I don’t think it’s worth his time or any more money.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Only the applicant who has received the appointment notification for the fingerprints needs to appear.  If several members of the family applied for N-400, then they will all get the fingerprint notifications.  If your father does not meet the requirements, then it is a bit too late now to worry about having wasted the money on the application since that has already been submitted and it is nonrefundable.  The USCIS will check eligibility for the naturalization and if your father does not qualify, he will not be naturalized.  As far as going or not going for the fingerprinting, it is up to him.  If he does not go, the application will eventually be terminated due to abandonment.  If he continues with the process and goes for the interview and it is evident at that point that he is not eligible , he will be denied at that point.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.